>>Why do they have to be based on either? They could well be a document in
their own >>right.

>Because both Passports and DLs are identity documents in their own right,
and it would >make no sense at all to have *three* different ID schemes in
circulation.

It seems that almost every week in Computing magazine there is an article
about the government promoting a new national database (e.g. children,
NHS). One of the factors is that current databases (e.g. DVLA, NI,
electoral registers) are simply too full of inaccuracies to be used.

The BBC story quotes Blair as saying that practical issues and logistics
were the only things stopping the introduction of ID cards. What it doesn't
say is that the question of accuracy is one of these issues - and one which
the government is yet to find an answer to.

The BBC story also quotes one of the reasons for the renewed push for ID
cards as being the bombings in Madrid. Ian B has already made the point
that Spain has had ID cards for many years. I assume (though I don't know
for sure) that Timothy McVeigh had a drivers licence - and it didn't stop
him did it?

It will be interesting to see how many amendments of the DPA are contained
in the draft bill to enable them to coexist.

Regards,
Graham

            All user commands can be found at : -