From: Tim Trent [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 17 February 2004 15:38
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: The Email Stamp - a proposed toll on email

This arrived in my inbox this morning.  It is, of course, from a list I have
given permission to send me stuff (Peppers and Rogers)!  I've Bccd the
author of the entire article (of which this is a snippet) with my thoughts
here.  He may wish to subscribe and see what this list in the UK has to say

"People are very serious about this and I fully expect that within a year
companies will have to pay for using an ISP to send materials," says Sonia
Arrison, research analyst for San Francisco-based think tank Pacific
Research Institute. "Bill Gates said recently that the spam problem would be
solved within two years. I think he's being conservative. Everything is
pointing toward an economic solution because technology hasn't worked."

So, if people pay to send email the problem of spam is said to be about to
decrease.

Is that really so?

Currently an ISP will terminate a spammer's account after some provocation
and with sufficient proof of spamming activities.  But, if the spammer paid
money to spam, what then?  "I am so sorry, they have *paid* to send this
email.  We make a fortune out of them, so we will not be terminating them,
thank you very much".  That is a likely scenario.  And that will not help
data subjects and their rights.  In fact all that will happen is that bad
ISPs will protect bad spammers and make loads of money.

So far the spam fighting groups that I monitor are ambivalent about it, but
their attitudes are starting to harden against it

Tim Trent - Consultant
Direct: +44(0)1344 392644 Mobile:+44(0)7710 126618
email: [log in to unmask]
Marketing Improvement Limited, Abbey House, Grenville Place, Bracknell,
United Kingdom, RG12 1BP <http://www.marketingimprovement.com/>
http://www.marketingimprovement.com

This message is for the intended addressee's use only. It may contain
confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mis-transmission. If
sender. You must not, directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute,
recipient. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
authorised to state them to be the views of any such entity.

            All user commands can be found at : -
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and is intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy, distribute, or take any action or reliance on it.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender.
Any unauthorised disclosure of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

            All user commands can be found at : -