Hi Everyone:

The way I understand it is

Bulgaria applied for membership into the European Union on December 14, 1995.

Romania applied for membership into the European Union on June 22, 1995.

Turkey applied for membership into the European Union on April 4, 1987 and
is currently making pre-accession preparations for admission to the EU. The
European Commission will issue a progress report at the end of 2004 that
will recommend whether Turkey has made sufficient progress toward accession
and whether accession negotiations can begin in 2005. Currently,
negotiations cannot begin with Turkey until the country meets the political
criteria for membership.

Countries who apply for membership must fulfill specific criteria which is
further explained in an abbreviated format at
http://www.privacyknowledgebase.com/document.jsp?docid=REFDPERA

Saundra
Saundra Kae Rubel
Privacy Law Analyst
Privacy Knowledge Base: the world's most comprehensive privacy and data
protection law database containing extensive information and expert
analysis about privacy and data protection in the United States, and 64
other countries including the European Union member states.

At 02:15 PM 1/26/2004 +0000, Tim Trent wrote:

>  <http://www.europa.eu.int/comm/enlargement/candidate.htm>
>http://www.europa.eu.int/comm/enlargement/candidate.htm has the list of
>candidate countries for the EEC, not all, presumably, for 1 May 2004, since
>the talk is of 10 nations (Or did I miss something?).  Assuming all the
>politics falls into place, on May 1st Data Protection expands, covering
>almost double the previous number of nations.  According to the EFTA site 28
>nations will be included in the EEA (similar and planned simultaneous
>expansion of EEC and EEA).

            All user commands can be found at : -