On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:45:06 +0100, Kinglake, Andrew
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>A family friend has received a Family Tax Credit Form renewal.  The form
>lists both her and her husband's salary details.  A copy was sent to both
>partners.
>
>Do list members think this is lawful, and do those who have applied for
this know if there is a transparent process for obtaining consent to share
this information?

>They are both very unhappy about this, cannot remember providing consent,
>and want to know whether this is normal and lawful.

Why are they unhappy? Don't they discuss joint finances at home? Don't they
have a rough idea of what's in each other's pay packet?

I believe this is the 'normal and lawful' way that tax credits are
assessed / renewed. Tax credits are partly means tested, so couples must
make a joint claim and are jointly responsible for all the information
provided.

If they've received two forms, presumably claiming both types of tax credit
and each receiving one:
Working Tax Credit - for people who work more than 16 hours per week, based
on combined household income, couple have to choose who receives it.
Child Tax Credit - for families with at least one child, paid to main carer.

I doubt if they were asked specifically for consent - but IR doesn't need
it to process PD in relation to assesing claim, checking accuracy,
protecting public funds, etc. due to wide ranging statutory powers to
obtain / share.

OK - everyone has a right to privacy, even from spouse, but this seems like
a storm in a teacup!

Kirsty E Gray
Access to Information Advisor
Commission for Social Care Inspection

Note: comments for discussion and debate only and do not necessarily
reflect the corporate position of CSCI nor constitute legal advice.

            All user commands can be found at : -