On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:36:18 +0100, Mandi Barron <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
I understand that the NUS are encouraging students to register to vote and
have informed some Students' Unions that they can block register students
living on university owned/managed accommodation .......

No - I can't see how they could get away with this either!

Despite the fact that its an offence to fail to register, the days of
electoral registration officers knocking on doors asking people why they
haven't bothered are long gone, due to risk of a punch in the face.

Normally its the responsibility of the 'head of household' to fill in the
annual ER census form and sign as a true record. The new 'rolling
registration' form, however, is completed per person.

Is NUS suggesting that students on campus live in the university's
household? So is the Chancellor the 'head of household' or the Accomodation
Manager?

Either way, each voter has a right to choose whether they want to be on the
full or the restricted register - a specific DP issue - and I can't see how
the university can make that decision for hundreds of young people.

Kirsty E Gray
Access to Information Advisor
Commission for Social Care Inspection

Note: comments for discussion and debate only and do not necessarily
reflect the corporate position of CSCI nor constitute legal advice.

            All user commands can be found at : -