** Reply to note from Samantha Hill <[log in to unmask]>         Mon, 11 Oct 2004 15:47:25 +0100

> We have followed a similar policy in disciplinary cases as Gail Waters' establishment
> because we believe it is in our legitimate interest to do so.  A student who has plagiarised
> will do almost anything to get out of the charge, so if we do not provide evidence of the
> plagiarism in the first instance, including the name(s) of the others involved, the student
> will then challenge us to provide it (rightly so).  Therefore, we avoid the middle step and
> the resulting delay by providing the evidence we have up front.  If the student is innocent,
> they will be able to produce their argument against our case far better by knowing how our
> suspicions have arisen.

Hi,

So you provide the name of the student whose work may have been
plagiarised (who may or may not have anything to do with it) because it is in
*your* legitimate interests to save time and administrative burden.

Have you considered asking that student for permission, even asking him
about it at all?  Surely all you have to do is provide a copy of the work you think
has been plagiarised, who wrote it is not relevant, unless you want to prove the
first student guilty too of helping his friend etc etc etc.

Crystal clear to me.  It is Friday yet again.

Regards
Charles

--
Charles Christacopoulos, Management Information Officer,
Planning & Information, University of Dundee, Dundee, DD1 4HN,

            All user commands can be found at : -