In message
<[log in to unmask]>, at
11:49:06 on Mon, 11 Oct 2004, Pounder Chris <[log in to unmask]>
writes

>PQ 185952 NI No

        "To ask the Chancellor of the Exchequer what uses of the
        national insurance number other than those connected with tax or
        benefits are authorised

The which the answer is "Didn't we tell you once already?" and "Don't
know, but we'll find the answer eventually and hide it away".

        "I refer to the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions
        response of 14 April 2003 to your previous question. Additions
        to the list of authorised users of the national insurance number
        for non-tax or benefit purposes since that date will be placed
        in the Library.

The "previous answer" being equally opaque:

        "The National Insurance number is an internal system index
        number used by Inland Revenue to record and reconcile tax and
        National Insurance, and by the Department of Work and Pensions
        to pay social security benefits and pensions. National Insurance
        number policy is the joint responsibility of DWP and Inland
        Revenue.

        "Any exchange of information is governed by the terms of the
        1998 Data Protection Act. Under certain, limited, circumstances,
        the national insurance number can be used for other
        cross-government, public interest purposes. A full list of
        authorised users of the National Insurance Number for non-tax or
        benefit purposes will be placed in the Library.

<sigh> So we need a friendly MP to go and look it up in the Library...
--
Roland Perry

            All user commands can be found at : -