In message <[log in to unmask]>, at 11:37:09 on Thu, 2 Sep 2004,
[log in to unmask] writes
>The Radio
>5 version said that the black boxes do not actually transmit a signal to the
>satellite, they merely records their positions in relation to the satellite
>signal then the data is uploaded to the computer which then works out where the
>black boxes have been.  Presumably it will indicate whether the tag was in the
>vicinity as well - because it is a separate unit and only the tag is
>"permanently" attached to the offender.
>
>Is this a little nearer the truth?

Yes. Although I think the tag and black box are effectively the same
thing (otherwise the offender just has to leave the black box at home).

>Are they (police / home office press
>officers) assuming that:
>
>1) The offenders aren't clever enough to work out how they really work and
>will think that every movement will be monitored? or
>
>2) The general public aren't clever enough to work out how they really work
>and will think that the government is actually doing something to reduce crime
>(which of course this won't)? or
>
>3) Both the above?

Yes, a bit of both. These things will go invisible surprisingly often.
We've been discussing the same thing on another list, and apparently the
GPS receiver can be tweaked to find its location in 15 seconds, if
there's a clear view of the sky. But if you are coming out of a house
and into a car, that may not be long enough; and it will be invisible
while in the car as well. Perhaps the offenders will need to carry a
phone for the police to call if they've been invisible for too long!
--
Roland Perry

            All user commands can be found at : -