From: Eleanor <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  Reynolds

To: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 12:24 PM

Subject: OII News [2004.09.20]: ESRC Seminar Series

Dear Friends and Colleagues of the Oxford Internet Institute,

Please may we bring your attention to the following forthcoming event
surrounding the participation of civil society in Internet Governance in the
context of the World Summit on the Information Society:

--------------------

ESRC Seminar Series - Critical Perspectives on the World Summit on the

Information Society: Civil Society Participation and Issues

Date: 2004-2005

Location: Oxford Internet Institute, 1 St Giles, Oxford OX1 3JS

The Oxford Internet Institute has received a grant from the ESRC to

hold four seminars and one small conference focusing on civil society
participation in the World Summit on the Information Society. Four events
will be held in the run up to the 2nd summit in November 2005. A final
seminar will be held early in 2006, to allow for an informed and reflective
discussion of the whole WSIS process.

Seminar 1: Reflecting on the Civil Society Agenda

An Invitation to Contribute: Call for Papers

10th December 2004

Oxford Internet Institute, 1 St Giles Oxford OX1 3JS

The 2003 World Summit of the Information Society (Geneva, 2003) generated a
'Civil Society' declaration that emphasized a commitment to: "building
information and communication societies that are people-centred, inclusive
and equitable", defined by a set of more specific principles. How are these
broad aims being translated into specific policy goals relating to such
areas as access, connectivity, and content regulation? Are these principles
and the policies they subsume enabling a productive (or conflictual)
engagement with other stakeholders in the process? Why did some civil
society groups who would share the declaration's aims decide not to
participate in the WSIS process? These are some of the questions we want to
reflect on in this agenda-setting seminar. We welcome contributions from
civil society groups who participated in the debates and those who stayed
away. We also welcome contributions from academics and policy makers who can
reflect on civil society groups' ability to shape agendas and discourses,
and influence outcomes either in relation to WSIS or other international
decision making forums (e.g. WTO or Earth Summits).

Please send papers to: [log in to unmask]

More information can be found at:
http://www.oii.ox.ac.uk/collaboration/?rq=specialevents/20050101

--

Lucy Martin

Events Officer

Oxford Internet Institute

Tel:  +44 (0)1865 287228

Fax: +44 (0) 1865 287211

www.oii.ox.ac.uk

Thoughts- Themes - Tinkerings www.ahlert.org

Oxford Internet Institute

+44 (0)1865 287 203

content by the NorMAN  <http://www.mailscanner.info/> MailScanner Service
and is believed
to be clean.

The NorMAN MailScanner Service is operated by Information,
Systems and Services, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.

Distributed through Cyber-Society-Live [CSL]: CSL is a moderated discussion
list made up of people who are interested in the interdisciplinary academic
study of Cyber Society in all its manifestations.To join the list please visit:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/cyber-society-live.html