Apologies for cross posting.
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Journal of Offender Education [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
  Sent: 19 February 2004 18:31
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Introduction and Call for Papers

  The Journal of Offender Education is an online journal published four
times each year - in February, May, August and November - by the Forum on
  Prisoner Education. The first issue will be launched at a Forum event in
London on 24th May 2004, and available online from that date. The website
address for the Journal will be www.offendereducation.org.uk (and this will
be live tomorrow, Friday). In the meantime you can visit the website at
www.fpe.org.uk/jooe.

  The Editorial Board brings together a range of experience - both academic
and practitioner - in prisoner education. The Editor in Chief is David
Wilson, professor of criminal justice at the University of Central England
and a former prison governor. He is also chair of the Forum.

  The aim of the Journal is to increase awareness of the issues around the
education of offenders. We intend to publish articles covering a broad
spectrum of interest, from the potential of education to reduce reoffending,
to articles about the management and contracting of prison education.

  Call for Papers

  The first issue of the Journal of Offender Education will be published in
May 2004. We are seeking papers for publication in that and future editions.

  Of particular interest to our Editorial Board are papers on:

         • Education as a factor in desistence from offending
         • Distance learning in prisons
         • Black and minority ethnic offenders and education
         • Education for school-age children in prison
         • Studies or reports of successful initiatives in offender
education
         • Motivating offenders to learn
         • Internet access and 'e-learning' for prisoners

  However, we will consider papers which cover any aspect of the education
of offenders. Please read our Guidelines on how to submit a paper to us for
consideration.

  There are no time limits on the submission of papers, and we normally
advise you of whether or not your article will be published within six weeks
of receipt.

  Kind regards

  Forum on Prisoner Education
  The Forum on Prisoner Education believes that education in
  prisons should be centred on the needs of the individual prisoner,
  for whom it can hold the key to living without crime by building
  self-esteem, encouraging self-motivation, and providing new
  opportunities after release.

  Email [log in to unmask]
  Web www.fpe.org.uk
  Telephone/Fax 020 8525 9599
  PO Box 42039, London E5 8XE
  Registered Charity Number 1100218

  All outgoing email is scanned with Norton AntiVirus 2004 and is certified
virus free.