Hi.

I have recently upgraded from Compaq Visual Fortran 6.6B to 6.6C, and
it's now giving me a new exciting warning which I don't understand.

The following program,

PROGRAM test_I8p8_prog
IMPLICIT NONE
PRINT '(I8.8)', 13
END PROGRAM test_I8p8_prog

generates this warning,

C:\PhD\Fem\f90\test_I8p8_project\test_I8p8_prog.f90(5) : Warning: The
field width is too small for the number of fractional digits.   [8]
PRINT '(I8.8)', 13
-----------^

Further experimentation shows that for an integer format Ia.b, it gives
the warning only if b>=a-2. I thought that 'a' was the field width, and
that 'b' specifies that the integer should be padded to 'b' digits with
zeros. I guessed (never I good thing, I know) that the only restriction
would be b<=a for positive numbers, and b<=a-1  for negative numbers
where you need an extra digit free in the field for the minus sign.

However, I don't know what a fractional digit is, and so don't
understand the warning. Would someone be able to shed some light on this
for me please?

Thanks,

Paul

Dr. Paul Suckling