Renchi Raju writes:
 > On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Richard Maine wrote:
 > > C doesn't have such a thing either...for the same reason as Fortran.

 > you might be right, but gcc printf/fprintf with "\r" (followed by a flush)
 > produces expected results. (i just tested it with intel c compiler and
 > works there too)

And you can do exactly the same thing in Fortran.  This isn't
a feature of the C language.  This is just a feature of (some)
terminals.

If that works in C, then so will

  write(lun,'(a1)',advance='no') achar(13)

because both do exactly the same thing - write an ascii carriage
return.  That was one of the options I mentioned.  It will
probably work, but it is hardware-dependent - not part of
Fortran (or C).  Neither language says anything about what this
will do to a terminal.

--
Richard Maine                |  Good judgment comes from experience;
[log in to unmask]       |  experience comes from bad judgment.