On Feb 20, 2004, at 11:52 AM, Jing Guo wrote:

> What if the petition was meant to retire FORTRAN features
> from Fortran 2003 or later?  Would that make any difference?
> Anyway, that was how I interperate the petition by reading
> the statements.

That would just illustrate that the author could not compose
simple English.  That is not what the petition says.  Whether
that's what it means I couldn't say.  That's not the impression
I got, but I can't say that my impression is any more valid
than yours.

I mentioned before the pointlessness of the petition and its
lack of any opportunity for discussion or feedback.  Any point
that it might have otherwise had is certainly destroyed if it
can't actually express what it is about in unambiguous terms.

How many of the signers thought it meant the same thing as
you do?  I have no way of telling.  Neither does anyone else.
So x number of people signed a petition, but nobody knows
what they thought it meant?  That's pretty useful data.

--
Richard Maine                |  Good judgment comes from experience;
[log in to unmask]       |  experience comes from bad judgment.