On Nov 14, 2004, at 8:57 AM, Phillip Helbig wrote:

> This is confusing as well, though; surely a rank-zero array should be
> compatible with a scalar?

I don't know what you even mean by that in Fortran. There is no such
thing as a
rank 0 array.  If you have managed to declare one somehow, I'd sure like
to see.  If you are saying that an array of rank 1 and size 1 should be
compatible
with a scalar, then that is incorrect - it isn't.  But that isn't
particularly close to
what you said - I just speculate because it is a common
misunderstanding.
Anyway, it sounds like you did eventually get the shape mismatch part
straightened
out.

On the original problem...

In *NONE* of you examples, pseudocode or real code, have you actually
shown
the interface body describing the dummy argument.  This is sort of
majorly
relevant, since the error is a disagreement between that interface body
and the
passed procedure.  You have explained that it is identical, but... I
bet you can
hear it coming as it is a line I use so often... show us instead of
telling us.

The compiler thinks they aren't identical, though you think they are.
I can't
evaluate this without actually seeing them.  Otherwise, I might as well
be
judging a kid's word battle of "is so" vs "is not" with no more data
than the
kids usually use, which is to repeat shouting the "is so" and "is not".

You mentioned NR, so I suppose in principle I could go find the routine
in
question... but that's more trouble than I tend to go to for answering
queries on the list.

Offhand, without seeing the code, I'd bet that somehow or other, your SP
isn't actually getting to the right place... or maybe even you have
gotten confused
about which version you are actually linking with.  I've seen that kind
of thing
enough when someone has tried enough different things - they loose
track of
exactly what changes got made when and are still in the code being
tested.
(One particularly annoying variant is to be looking at code that you
edited,
but didn't compile or didn't link, thus causing confusion when the
results
don't match what the code looks like it should have done.)

--
Richard Maine                |  Good judgment comes from experience;
[log in to unmask]       |  experience comes from bad judgment.