Hello,

Does someone have references or personal experience with scientific
codes and the (relatively) new sse2 instructions on P4 and higher
versus traditional FPU instructions?

Tests on my codes indicate that using sse2 instead of fpu for my
application caused a slowdown of about 50%. Obviously the wrong sign
there. I will need more detailed study to see if this is related to the
precision issue (my codes have a lot of precision tolerances which may
need to be loosened up since calculations are going 80->64 bits), but I
would appreciate any experiences, general guidelines, etc.

Thanks,
Aleksandar

--
__________________________________
Aleksandar Donev
Complex Materials Theory Group (http://cherrypit.princeton.edu/)
Princeton Materials Institute &
Program in Applied and Computational Mathematics
@ Princeton University
Address:
   419 Bowen Hall, 70 Prospect Avenue
   Princeton University