--On Tuesday, August 31, 2004 11:39 AM -0400 Aleksandar Donev
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> g77 complains on this:
>
>  integer, save :: profiler(2)=0
>
> I assume it is the combination of array and initialization it does not
> like. How do I do this in g77 in one line (I would like to avoid DATA
> if possible)? It does not have to be pure F77 as long as it compiles
> with g77.

I can't definitively tell you what g77 accepts.  This is not standard
f77, as you know.  But I see two things nonstandard here.  One is a
trivial syntax extension of the kind that I'd find it quite
reasonable that f77 compilers might adopt - the entity-oriented
form of declaration.

The other non-f77 thing is huge and thus highly suspect.  Whole-array
operations are a major f90 feature.  I'm 100% sure that g77 doesn't support
much, if anything in the way of whole-array operations....and I'd guess
that it might not support any at all.  It would be pretty hard to draw
a line between simple cases that could be quickly hacked in, versus
doing the whole thing.

In particular, I'd be suspicious of any form at all of

  array = something

I don't see what initialization has to do with it.  If g77 doesn't
accept (as I assume it doesn't)

  profiler = 0

as an executable assignment statement, then why would one expect it
to accept it as an initialization?

--
Richard Maine                |  Good judgment comes from experience;
[log in to unmask]       |  experience comes from bad judgment.