Toon Moene wrote:

>As of the case in point:  Tell me how changing 3 lines in a 300,000 line
>Fortran program could gain you 45 % elapsed time on an Opteron, Alpha,
>or MIPS running a sensible operating system (i.e., GNU/Linux).

The OS really isn't an issue in general. If I'm free to pick all the
parameters, and have enough time I could probably come up with a code
for each of the platforms Greg outlined, and some others.

>[ Keith might want to contact Hans Joraandstad for the answer on
>   Solaris].

I know quite well how the SPARC hardware punts on some edge cases; I
don't know why you think the OS is an issue, but since we've met in
person before if you really want to tell me about it tell me offline
(and no need to drag anyone else into it).

SuperSPARC punted on no edge cases (for whatever that's worth). The chip
architects decisions about what to allocate full or partial hardware
support to (microcoding lives on, in some venues) is a complicated and
not entirely well documented bit of engineering.

--
Keith H. Bierman    [log in to unmask]
<speaking for myself, not Sun*> Copyright 2004