> Date:          Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:56:04 -0400
> From:          Aleksandar Donev <[log in to unmask]>

> Hi,
>
> A simple unformatted IO question (I am sure the answer must be simple).
> How do I read a file of unformatted integers one by one, in a do loop?
> That is, this is a grayscale image where the pixel values (0-256,
> unsigned char's in C) are stored in one file without any spaces or
> newlines or such.

The problem of reading and writing picture files
is handled in several examples in my book,
"Algorithms and Data Structures in F and Fortran",
published by Unicomp.  The ISBN is 0-9640135-4-1.
The book may be purchased online at http://www.fortran.com

The specific examples include PCX and TIFF file processing.

> I want to avoid reading them all at once into an
> array (it is a large file), and don't know how to do "nonadvancing"
> unformatted input. I know that I have to take care of unsigned/signed
> conversion myself.

BTW, the range for a byte is 0-255, and the intrinsics CHAR
and ICHAR can do the conversions.