At 11:51 AM 11/7/2004, Peter Shenkin wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, 12:12am -0500, [log in to unmask] wrote:
> > As Mike Metcalf pointed out, this should be an ifc bug.
> > The compiler is 'too' clever.  Thanks to all.
>
>We all know that Jim Giles would consider this a bug.  My
>recollection, at least, is that others disagree.
>
>Is there anyone out there who does disagree?  That is, who
>thinks that this is not a bug, but a feature?

I recall in Fortran 66 that some people were proud of their code when they
persuaded the compiler to optimize away a second timer call, thus producing
a calculation showing negligible time spent.  Since f95, it should be a
bug, if a compiler has optimized away repeat calls to a function which is
not declared PURE.
BTW, I would be more confident in the example, if the USE file which goes
with the library had been present.  Who's to say what the correct result of
a commonly used library function, not defined in the Fortran standard, and
not declared, should be? And how confident should we be when a non-standard
replacement is used for a standard f90 intrinsic, thus telling us the code
hasn't been maintained for 15 years?

Tim Prince