	-----Original Message-----
	From: Secret Cinema [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
	Sent: Sun 16/05/2004 08:55
	To: Secret Cinema
	Subject: [secretcinema] LUX SALON: Nicolas Rey: 24 May 2004

	http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/pDJolB/TM

	NICOLAS REY: OPERA MUNDI
	Lux Salon at Candid Arts Trust, Monday 24 May 2004 at 7pm

	OPERA MUNDI (3 x 16mm, 1999, 60 minutes)
	An extraordinary hour-long triple-projection work by Paris-based artist
	Nicolas Rey. A mixture of Guy Debord and Hollis Frampton, concerned with
	labour and analytical study (Rey describes it as "one of those action films,
	only the action would be contemplating").
	http://perso.club-internet.fr/nicorey/

	at

	Candid Arts Trust, 3 Torrens St, London, EC1V 1NQ.
	Behind Angel tube in Islington.
	See http://www.candidarts.com/ for directions.

	Entry: £2, no advanced booking

	Presented by LUX in collaboration with Candid Arts Trust and No.w.here, a
	new artists' centre for fine art film production. To be added No.w.here
	mailing list email: [log in to unmask]

	"Ritournelle et fatrasie"

	opera mundi, a hand-made film by Nicolas Rey, triple 16mm, 1999, one hour

	1.
	For quite a while, I didn't like standing in line in supermarkets. It hasn't
	been that long since I started appreciating such an experience. A moment
	without movements (suspens), simply a minimal, automatic sliding of people
	and things. (A new cash register opens, everybody runs, I stay where I am.)
	A moment of relaxation, of observing your fellow man, his always surprising
	neck, his relationship to commodities. A moment of forced slowness, with
	secret plenitude and beauty.
	You will hear: A litany of surgical instruments from an army depot.

	2.
	For the 1920s avant-garde, filming the world meant filming machines.
	(Vertov, Richter, Ruttman). Even if the ideal world they composed in their
	films didn't exist, it was to come. Faith was intact. But the machines went
	wrong. What about the avant-garde ?

	3.
	Subject doesn't matter. Grab moments of reality; follow your desires,
	without first judging the coherence of the whole. Wander. Trust the pictures
	- and the sounds.
	You will hear: A woman from a sports club denying me authorization
	to shoot on their premises.

	4.
	It's at work everywhere, functioning smoothly at times, at other times it
	fits and starts. It breathes, it heats, it eats. It shits and fucks. What a
	mistake to have ever said the id. Everywhere it is machines - real ones, not
	figurative ones: machines driving other machines, machines being driven by
	other machines with all the necessary couplings and connections. Hence we
	are all handymen: each with his little machines. And rest assured that it
	works. (...) Something is produced: the effects of machines, not mere
	metaphors. (Gilles and Felix, happy philosophers)

	5.
	Slowly, confront the first pieces and discover what your desires meant. Put
	aside certain shots that don't fit. Shoot more; complete the composition,
	trying not to reduce it to a "story." Reconsider the elements you left
	aside. Keep going.
	You will hear: A girl named Mathilde asking "her" Nico to call back,
	although she's not sure of the number.

	6.
	A memory : work equals force times displacement.
	You will hear: Someone named Stéphane trying to reach another Nicolas Rey
	for obscure reasons.

	7.
	The first three seconds of a shot the meaning jumps out. For those whom only
	information matters, those three seconds are enough to create trompe-l'oeil
	thinking.

	8.
	The "really upside-down world" stands behind our eyes. Each of us is the
	social body.
	You will hear: An old woman trying  to reach a friend of hers
	to let her know a painter has an exhibit in the fancy part of town.

	9.
	It would be one of those action films, only the action would be
	contemplating. To sit and consent to watch what someone else has seen.
	Nothing is sensational except the photographer being right behind you.
	You will hear: A doctor trying to explain to a patient that his appointment
	is on Thursday, and not on Tuesday.

	10.
	Corpus and socius are together in a boat. Corpus falls in water.
	Who's left ?

	Yahoo! Groups Links