International campaign agaisnt the death threat made to Yanar Mohammed's life by Islamists in Iraq

View Current Signatures   -   Sign the Petition

To:  US State Department-Paul Bremer head of CPA in Iraq

Yanar Mohammed, the head of the Organisation of Women's Freedom in Iraq (OWFI), is a renowned activist, and highly regarded in the world today for her brave efforts in defending women's rights in Iraq. She and the OWFI have been at the forefront of raising Iraqi women's awareness of their rights, fighting for an egalitarian secular state and full equality for women, as well as advocating for the separation of religion from the state and educational system which is a precondition for guaranteeing women's rights in Iraq.

Since the recent introduction of Law Number 137 by the Iraqi Ruling Council, which is to remove the previous Personal Status Code and replace it with Sharia law, Yanar has exposed the serious threat to women's lives and rights if Sharia is imposed and organised women and men in opposition to it. As a result, she has been threatened to death within the next few days by the Army of Sahaba (Jaysh Al-Sahaba).

We, the undersigned, are outraged at the threat to Yanar Mohammed's life and hold the USA government primarily responsible for the abysmal situation it has created, which now threatens the life of and affords no protection to Yanar Mohammad.

We unequivocally defend her and OWFI's women's rights activists in Iraq, defend secularism, namely the separation of religion from the state and educational system and full equality for women, and strongly denounce Islamic terrorist groups. We further unequivocally denounce and hold the USA fully responsible for Yanar's life and safety. The USA government must provide her with full protection.

Campaign coordinators

Nadia Mahmood, and Houzan Mahmoud

[log in to unmask] and [log in to unmask]

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Sincerely,
The Undersigned