Date:         Mon, 17 May 2004 14:30:38 -0300
Sender: "To complement the journal 'Capital and Class' (ISSN 0 309 8786)" <[log in to unmask]>
From: Vladimir / Snia Micheletti <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Value demonstrated in geometrical order / Heisenberg / Marx / Freeman
To: [log in to unmask]
This equation, exchange-value=use-value [bisector line], or limit of the inverse proportional function, ev=f(1/uv), is extremely important, even though we can dispense it in proceeding the analysis on value theory.
Why is it [vt=vu] so important, at the same time, nonessential?
1) First, you Alan Freeman like Marx and all the physicians based on relativistic quantum mechanics may consider it nonessential because it has no special quantitative relationship with labour-value.
Despite the Heisenberg uncertainty principle {Dx Dy > h/m), this uncertainty occupies only the mind of the physicians not attained to the relativistic quantum mechanics. Heinsenberg said that this uncertainty principle should not preclude the physics proceedings because it was knowledges problem. So, Dx Dy = h/m prevailed and the relativistic scientists proceeds their works.
            Wouldnt this knowledges problem be analogous to the Spinozas hour that never passes? I mean, Spinoza brought an example based on the duration of an hour that never reaches the full hour: to get the full hour the indicator must pass the first half, than the half of the rest, than the half of the next rest, and so on that it continues passing / separating / dividing and never reaches the full hour. Spinoza explained this never happening hour by the entity of REASON [x2; the duration minded] that differs from the real entity [x; the time presented by the clock].[1] (Is it a knowledge or mathematicals problem? well see this later).
We all know that you (Alan Freeman), Marx, Einstein, Bohr, Malaguti, Paulo de Tarso, Menezes, Frederic Lee, Alfredo Saad-Filho, Mszros[2], etc. find this difference, between the hour presented by the clock and the hour reasoned by our minds, meaningless. Who cares about this meaningless difference? It is just a fraction (0,000000000123), the remaining thing, the residue, the Statistical error, that doesnt make any difference.
Spinoza, Comte, Marx (from the Mathematical Manuscripts, Economic and Philosophic Manuscripts, and Ethnological Notebooks) dont think this residue is meaningless.
Why did Marx think of this residue as meaningless, at the same time, as important? (the real and therefore the simplest relation of the new with the old is discovered as soon as the new gains its final form, and one may say the differential calculus gained this relation through the theorems of Taylor MacLaurin. Therefore the thought first occurred to Lagrange to return the differential calculus to the firm algebraic foundation (auf strict algebraische Basis). Perhaps his forerunner in this was John Landen, an English mathematician from the middle of the 18th century, in his Residual Analysis. Indeed, I must look for this book in the [British] Museum before I can make a judgment on it (p. 113, Mathematical manuscripts, New Park Publications, 1983).

First, Marx considers it meaningless because it did not obstruct the construction of his economic theory (Marxist Economic Theory MET), and the Conventional Economic Theory was just being born at that time (Engels, at the preface of tome III in reality, however, this theory is merely a paraphrase of the Marxist). Second, this residue is a mathematical problem, and even being a mathematical problem, Marx tried to solve it as the latter quotation shows.
Let us come to our discussion. You said: therefore for me, it [use-value = exchange-value; bisector line] has no special quantitative relationship with labour-value. You are right. The relativistic physicians dont care neither about the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, but they operate their categories in the micro-world.
What about you?
Do you believe that the alternative is that education be directed towards a non-instrumental aims, or at list, that there is a better balance between the two [MET and CET]. Clearly, heterodox ideas [Marx, Keynes, and someone else] have a major role to play in a non-instrumental economics education. However, there is also a role for the orthodox [neoclassical or CET]. As it can be used to achieve specific intrinsic aims. The question then becomes one of balance [equilibrium? Bisector line?], (why Marxist economics should be taught but probably wont be!, Clarke and Mearman, Capital & Class, n 79, spring 2003)?
Do you really think Marxs theory does not carry an instrumental aim? That we cannot operate it?
Do you really believe that Marxist Economic Theory should be taught as part of a parallel perspective approach as Clarke and Mearman said? Is that for the students to reveal their preferences?
Arent you all observing that MET actually is the residue or the remaining thing that doesnt make any difference?
I think we should, I mean, we must revert this situation.
How can we revert it?
Let us return to your question. The question you and Carchedi have posed at the Foreword of your own book: a further question is however posed by this conclusion. How, for nearly the whole of this century, could Marx have been systematically misrepresented even by those with every reason not to?.
But now I include you, Malaguti, Paulo de Tarso Soares, Reinaldo Carcanholo, Claus Germer, Jason, Frederic Lee, Menezes, Idaleto, Fred Lee, Alfredo Saad-Filho, etc. among those you and Carchedi have thought of, because you all have not reached the level of critic posed by Keynes.
2) Dare I say this value demonstrated in geometrical order is the only and scientific way to make MET robuster (from the residual condition to main paradigm), but we must reach some agreements before the presentation of why, how, and when the equation excgange-value=use-value, as a result or limit of the proportionally inverse function, ev=f(1/uv), and also the salto vital (Lenin / Engels) and powered residue (Spinoza / Comte / Durkheim) makes the difference, I mean, is extremely important.
First, we all should agree with: the Twentieth century has been nothing if not innovative. Its technological miracles would have astonished the Victorians. Cosmology has reshaped space and time; physics has abandoned determinacy and biology defies the laws of evolution. There are, however, two exceptions to this pageant of revolutions: religion and economics. Adam Smith has been re-instated as prophet of the market, Ricardo as the oracle of trade, and economic gospel reduced to the following: the market satisfies all and wastes nothing; no-one could be better off without it, and no-one goes without work who takes the going wage. The foundation of this cathechism is a dogma: that supply equates itself to demand. Its formal basis, despite the beatification of the classicals, was laid in the 1870s and bears the name of General Competitive Equilibrium. Since then Arrow, Debreu, Hahn and others have added some rigor, time preferences have been tacked on, and the elastic distinction between short and long run has tied down some loose ends. But the basic instruments are as Walras, Jevons and Menger bequeathed them. Keyness brief excursus has been assimilated into what Arestis (1992) calls the Grand Neoclassical Synthesis and todays economics is a theory of supply curves, demand curves and simultaneous, instantaneous market clearing (Freeman and Carchedi, 1996, p. vii). But this Grand Neoclassical Synthesis is false because it just misrepresented the real keynes synthesis. Actually the Neoclassical Synthesis is the General Equilibrium that you and Carchedi rejected the first line of investigation, as the title implies, is thus a thoroughgoing rejection of equilibrium (p. x). That means, we shall not reject the general equilibrium because this equilibrium may be the utmost objective of MET.

Second, Keynes almost reached the dialectical way of thinking (bidimensional) the composition of this book has been for the author a long struggle of escape, and so must the reading of it be for most readers if the authors assault upon them is to be successful a struggle of escape from habitual modes of thought and expressionWhen I began to write my Treatise on Money I was still moving along the traditional lines of regarding the influence of money as something so to speak separate from the general theory of supply and demand and is in this way linked up with our fundamental theory of value. We thus led to a more general theory, which includes the [neo]classical theory with which we are familiar, as a special case (Keynes, 1964, preface).
I said Keynes almost reached the level of critic posed by Marx / Engels (and he left you all behind) because Keynes, at least, noted the residue. Keynes appropriated the terms speculation and enterprise, and said: even apart from the instability due to speculation, there is the instability due to the characteristic of human nature that a large proportion of our positive activities depend on spontaneous optimism rather than on a mathematical expectation, whether moral or hedonistic or economic. Most, probably, of our decisions to do something positive, the full consequences of which will be drawn out over many days to come, can only be taken as a result of animal spirit [potential spinozistic?Comtean Anomia?] of a spontaneous urge to action rather than inaction, We should not conclude from this that everything depends on waves of irrational psychology (Keynes, ch.12).
Keynes did not know the origin of this irrational psychology and how it could become a constituent power. That is why he said: for my own part I am now somewhat skeptical of the success of a merely monetary policy directed towards influencing the rate of interest. I expect to see the State, which is in a position to calculate the marginal efficiency of capital-goods calculated on the principles I have described above [constant marginal utility/efficiency - bissetriz] (ch.12).
You, Alan Freeman, in despite of NOT noting the residue (this irrational aspect left besides even by the mathematicians, therefore, these gentlemen accepted it as number four or six centuries later) have also found that mathematics does not help him [or neoclassical] in this respect; the problem is not its use but its abuse, which this chapter seeks to end (Freeman, p. 227). But the problem is also mathematical. Mathematics, as you said suffers the same limitation as formal logic, which has to separate things conceptually that are not isolated actually (p. 226) so all we have to do is to attack this formalism (this one-sided way to think of; mathematicians think the form, they dont think about the content) and NOT to develop a complete alternative way of going about things so as to break [separate] the stranglehold of equilibrium thinking [the first and actually neoclassical Synthesis, the combination] (Freeman, p. 226). [Griffon mine].
What about this contradiction? Why do you attack the real synthesis, to separate the combination?
Arent you being capitulated before this critic to the false neoclassical synthesis and the unilateral mathematics?
When I say that you and many of ours colleagues have not reached the level of critic posed by Keynes, I mean that you have not noted the residue and its meaning. Therefore, others supposedly Marxists even make fun of the Marxist categories (I have read so many texts that the object is: the abstract labor is opposed to concrete labor; no, the concrete labor is opposed to abstract labor).
3) You said that: geometry. I have problems with |Vladimirs use of this word. I need that he should explain more clearly what he means by a geometric demonstration exactly what his system of value really is (Message, May 12, SEP).
First, I have no system of value, I just brought up the Marxists categories using some equations and a graphic, and considering that Marx used the dialectical triade, which Hegel had obtained from the Holy Trinity (Father, thesis; Son, antithesis; and Holy Spirit, synthesis). These equations and graphic have provided us the understanding / observation of many others categories like Spinozian, Comte (it seems to me that Comte were the first to use the category uneven and combined development), Paretos optimum, and the real neoclassical synthesis.

About the geometrical demonstration of value, I think this Spinozas example is sufficient: Let there be three numbers given through which it is required to discover a forth which shall be to the third as the second is to the first. A merchant does not hesitate to multiply the second and the third together and divide the product by the first, either because he has not yet forgotten the things which he heard without any demonstration from his schoolmaster, or because he has seen the truth of the rule with the more simples numbers, or because from the 19th prop. In the 7th  book of Euclid he understands the common property of all proportional. But with the simplest numbers there is no need of all this. If the numbers 1, 2, 3, for instance, be given, every one can see the fourth proportional is 6 much more clearly than by any demonstration (Spinoza, Ethic, propXL). The solution is: thesis or induction - (1+2+3=6); antithesis or deduction (6=3+2+1), therefore, the fourth proportional is 6, the bisector line or limit of the function commented before.

About the salto vital: Engels plainly employs the salto vitale method in philosophy, that is to say, he makes a leap from theory [antithesis] to practice [thesis]. Not a single one of the learned (and stupid) professors of philosophy, in whose footsteps our Machians follow, would permit himself to make such a leap, for this would be a disgraceful thing for a devotee of pure science to do. For them the theory of knowledge, which demands the cunning concoction of definitions, is one thing, while practice is another. For Engels all living human practice permeates the theory of knowledge itself and provides an objective criterion of truth. For until we know a law of nature, it, existing and acting independently and outside our mind, makes us slaves of blind necessity. But once we come to know this law, which acts (as Marx pointed out a thousand times) independently of our will and our mind, we become the masters of nature. The mastery of nature manifested in human practice is a result of an objectively correct reflection within the human head of the phenomena and processes of nature, and is proof of the fact that this reflection (within the limits of what is revealed by practice) is objective, absolute, and eternal truth. (Lenin, 1982, p.144) [Griffon is ours]
About the residue, I think the work of Marjorie L. DeVault Feeding the family: the social organization of caring as gendered work is extremely important because it shows the theory of caring, it presents the newest kind of work the gendered work originated from the families (the residual families) that have become the constituent power. This new kind of work is opposed to the labour that measures prices / value, that is, it is intrinsically gendered and cannot be priced.
This way we pose the limit to function commented before.
Mathematicians have no other alternative if not accepting this limit (the limit to formal logic, but the combination with the dialectical logic).
I hope you all will not wait to long to accept this value demonstrated in geometrical order. I mean, the mathematicians took 4 or 6 centuries to accept the irrational into the set of numbers, and we all know how important these irrational numbers are.
Well, I better go now.
Thanks for the attention.
Abraos.
Vladimir D. Micheletti
Departamento de Economia
Universidade Federal de Alagoas

[1] I am supposing you have read about the function of knowledge  presented by Pierre Fougeyrollas: Suponhamos que esta fonte seja a realidade atual (soruce of the text = reality). Voc, eu and a religious wo/man are observing this same reality (x). Ns trazemos para dentro de nossa mente a representa-o desta realidade, we cannot bring the objective reality into our mind, so we subjective the reality (characteristic of or belonging to reality as perceived or known as opposed to reality as it is in itself or independent of mind), isto , ns re-presentamos (repetimos a presenta-o na mente), ent-o, em nossa mente temos a relidade2, mesmo porque realidade = x and we represent it into our mind: x.x = x2 . A representa-o mental do homem / mulher religioso pode at ser x5, xn, porque as relaes que o religioso faz com os fatos (sociais) na mente podem ser extremamente complexas. Keynes, por exemplo, disse: we have reached the third degree where we devote our intelligences to anticipating what average opinion expects the average opinion to be. And there are some, I believe, who practice the fourth, fifth and higher degree (ch.12, Long-term expectation).

O que este terceiro grau que Keynes comenta? What third degree is this? Is it Spinozian third kind of knowledge? o terceiro grau de conhecimento de Spinoza? Is it Comtes third state? o terceiro estado de Auguste Comte? (teolgico [tese]; metafsico [anttese]; positivo [sntese]). Com certeza, o third degree de Keynes pode ser ambos os princpios de Spinoza e de Comte, pois todos dois apresentam seus princpios com base trade dialtica (tese, anttese e sntese), ainda que n-o se referindo diretamente a esta trade. Alm do mais, ambos apresentam a potncia (ou anomalia selvagem de Spinoza) e a anomia (Comte; que Durkheim, mais tarde apresentar como resduo).
[2] The first phrase of his book Beyond Capital: towards a theory of transition Mszros wrote: The little corner of the world of which Marx spoke in 1985 is no longer a little corner. At chapter 1, he returns to it and say: given the obvious global of the historical transformation experienced since Marxs day, no one could confine any longer the prospects of fundamental social upheavals to a little corner of the world (p. 36).

--
Chris Jones
CSE / Capital and Class