CALL FOR PAPERS
REFRESH!    FIRST INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON
THE HISTORIES OF MEDIA ART, SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Banff New Media Institute, Canada, September 28 - October 3, 2005
http://www.mediaarthistory.org          Deadline: Dec. 1st 2004

Recognizing the increasing significance of media art for our culture,
this Conference (Evening of Sept. 28th, Sept. 29th, 30th, October
1st) on the Histories of Media Art will discuss for the first time
the history of media art within the interdisciplinary and
intercultural contexts of the histories of art.  Leonardo/ISAST,
Banff New Media Institute the Database for Virtual Art and UNESCO
DigiArts are collaborating to produce the first international art
history conference covering art and new media, art and technology,
art-science interaction, and the history of media as pertinent to
contemporary art.

For more information on the conference, please visit:
http://www.MediaArtHistory.org

I.  MediaArtHistories: Times and Landscapes I and II
II. Methodologies
III. Art as Research / Artists as Inventors
IV. Image Science and 'Representation': From a Cognitive Point of View
V. Collaborative Practice/ Networking (history)
VI. Pop/Mass/Society
VII a. Collecting, preserving and archiving the media arts
VII b. Database/New Scientific Tools
VIII. Cross-Culture - Global Art
IX. What can the History of New Media Learn from History of
Science/Science Studies?
X. Rejuvenate: Film, sound and music in media arts history
XI. High Art/Low Culture - the future of media art sciences?

Please send a 200 word proposal and a very brief curriculum vitae by
December 1st, 2004 via e-mail to
[log in to unmask] Full papers (5000 to 7000
word long) must be received via e-mail by July 1st., 2005.
Details about their format will be sent separately to the participants.
All Papers will be considered for publication.
Registration information soon: www.banffcentre.ca/bnmi/
http://www.MediaArtHistory.org

BANFF
Sara DIAMOND, Director of Research and Artistic Director of BNMI (Local Chair)
Susan KENNARD, Executive Producer of BNMI (Organisation)
www.banffcentre.ca/bnmi/

LEONARDO
Annick BUREAUD, Director Leonardo Pioneers and
Pathbreakers Art History Project, Leonardo/OLATS
www.olats.org

PUBLICATIONS COMMITTEE
Chair: Roger F MALINA, Chair Leonardo/ISAST
www.leonardo.info

CONFERENCE DIRECTOR & ORGANISATION
Oliver GRAU, Director Immersive Art & Database of Virtual Art
Humboldt University Berlin
http://virtualart.hu-berlin.de

--

www2.hu-berlin.de/grau