>From: "Philip Coleman" <[log in to unmask]>
>Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:25:59 -0000

CALL FOR PAPERS

Irish Association for American Studies Annual Conference 2005

INVENTING AMERICA

National University of Ireland, Cork, April 22-23, 2005

In times of globalisation 'America', once more, has been reinvented and
turned into a key trope that haunts the popular as well as scholarly mind in
attempts to come to terms with global politics and economics. Globalisation
frequently becomes equated with processes of 'Americanization', the latter
term especially referring to the worldwide spread of American pop cultural
products, fast food, and the impact of U.S. political, cultural as well as
military expansionism. Today we thus experience new attempts to define
America in a global context.

In a cross-disciplinary way this conference aims at exploring the various
venues in which 'America' is created, questioned, rejected, and reinvented.
We want to address inventions of America in both dominant and resistant
discourses and, therefore, invite a broad range of contributions that
address the processes behind negotiating and inventing America in the
contexts of:

- exceptionalism
- melting pot
- postethnic society

For the conference programme and related panels we welcome submissions in
fields of research such as:

. the new media
. literature
. drama
. film
. the visual arts
. music
. architecture/design
. theory
. history
. philosophy
. religion
. gender studies

In particular, we would like to encourage young scholars, postgraduates and
graduate students to submit proposals and to engage in the conference
discussions.  We intend to install a postgraduate forum in close connection
with the conference proceedings.

Send provisional title, one-page abstract and short c.v. -- inserting
"Inventing America Conference" in the subject line -- to Dr Gwenda Young at
[log in to unmask] before the 5th of February 2005.

Dr Gwenda Young,
Department of English,
University College Cork,
Cork,
IRELAND

Fax: 00-353-214903288

For further information on the IAAS see:
http://www.ucd.ie/~ire-amer/
Anny Ballardini
http://annyballardini.blogspot.com
http://www.fieralingue.it/modules.php?name=poetshome
The aim of the poet is to awaken emotions in the soul, not to gather admirers.
Stalker, Andrei Tarkovsky