-----Original Message-----
From: Trevor Joyce <[log in to unmask]>
To: Lawrence Upton <[log in to unmask]>
Cc: British & Irish poets <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 03 January 2004 18:31
Subject: Re: Niedecker review

Dear Trevor

I'll do that in reverse order

>I suspect that may be either stupid or incomprehensible, but I leave
>you to voice the question as you will.

no!

Do readers of Chinese, say, interpret
>visual texts in ways which are shared by them but different from
>readers from alphabetic traditions?

I have no idea

I don't know if anyone is doing that

Yang Lian came to see me and Cobbing in the mid 90s - we had 45 mins but got
carried away and did 75 and YL seemed very enthusiastic - among the many
things he said was that he had never come across work like that

I looked for visual work in Greek, thinking I might be able to cope with
seeing what they did with their alphabet - the hubris of a man who once
bought a bottle of water with a phrase book

All I found was work not intended for performance and based on the Roman
alphabet and not very interesting

I suspect there's a wealth of material I have missed

Prigov said of a set of questions about Russian practice I threw at him "It
is the same", but I have my doubts

There are similar works by a great number of Russian poets; but only
similar... I think that though neither Cobbing nor I have/had any great theory,
there are some assumptions made which would not be shared... But then your
question was somewhat different

I can't answer it, but the role of the alphabet is interesting

Re Dutton, on the occasions when I have improvised with him, there has been
no trouble at all; but Paul is much more likely to compose in sound from sound and to make
visuals to look at

The reading that I do is straight out of Cobbing and in relation to that
Paul is more like Dufrene and Chopin in making a piece that exists in sound

Peter Finch works that way, reading from the text, and I would expect there
to be similarities, yes; but not necessarily every time

A lot of the time that one is reading a text with no words and no letters
one is finding them... Very rarely is there actually no word or letter
there, but it can happen

I just, over the last few days, made such a set of texts... put it in the
drawer to see if it grows into anything

More generally recently I have found myself going back to letter shapes
slightly in the style of Jeremy Adler and / or Sean O'Huigin 25 - 30 years
ago

I'm going to be performing that stuff soon, including an improv with the
musician Caroline Kraabel and I'm looking forward to that very much

Ive also been going off into brushwork poems for dancers which can also be
voiced - and there one would find difference just because of the difference
of voice and bodies

I've perfomred some of Cobbing's pieces solo recently and that's very odd - one needs different gestures, different breaths; and it's very odd getting into that state of body

So, er,

> would yourself and Paul Dutton,
>say, interpret them similarly?>

definitely maybe