So nothing to do with people, "americans" "christians", "provincials",
"rustics", anyone, or their fear or their stupidity. Which was obvious even
before any likely top-level criminality was mooted.  It's entirely to do
with manipulation of the mechanisms which get you into power, which have
never been safe. and it seems, the wider the "democracy" the more
 precarious those structures are.

After all, how many supporters do you need in order to reach top power and
have complete control over a nation?  For Blair, perhaps 200 or 300. Bush
wd need more with all those States, maybe a thousand or two. That's all.
Once you've got your strategic support (including top lawyers, publicity,
media, business leaders, money people, persuaders manipulators and
opportunists of all kinds) voting is a mere formality: it can be arranged,
without necessarily having to resort to cheating.  And once you're there
you position your supporters under you, both inside and outside the
political system,  in a kind of pyramid which makes you completely
impregnable. Democracy = dictatorship.  I think Pericles or Genghis Khan
probably operated by these methods.

It's tempting to believe that forces of class, tradition, privilege and
even aristocracy which at one time carried a lot more weight in state
governance, might have acted as a safeguard against this.  It's difficult
to see someone exercising absolute power cloaked by a small band of
adherents in stategic positions, in the British 19th Century parliamentary
system, partly because parliamentary debate and action was then free and
not tied to Party,  which is what paralyses the majority of labour MPs:
solidarity to the party and the Labour Movement, fear of the single
alternative.  Isn't it the either/or, the dichotomisation of political
position, which makes all this possible?

I don't know, John, what we can call "americans" so as not to upset
Mexicans and Canadians, but perhaps we shall end up referring to the
empowered group of USA as The World Office, or The Bosses, or The Evil Eye.

/PR