From: gerard elder [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 23 December 2004 10:21
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Complex Survey natively in blackboard

Peter,

I am by no means an expert in the creation of online surveys but I am not keen on the vocabulary used in Blackboard's Survey Manager. For example, when a student click's on the link to participate in the survey the first thing they see is a box with the message: 'Are you sure you want to take this assessment now?'  I am sure this would put many individuals off contributing to the survey. The word 'assessment' appears several time after this and the screen also shows points values, again an unnecessary feature. These points have put me off using this feature. For what it's worth, at the Amsterdam conference there was an interesting presentation on survey use from the University of Puerto Rico and also one from Durham University. I came away from that conference interested in using something called Survey Monkey - see

http://www.surveymonkey.com

Hope this is of some use.

Gerard Elder

VLE Systems Development Officer