There is some html coding problem with Bb5.5 that I remembered. If you look at the html source code you will find that the width parameter is not set right. Some browser does not mind this, but others do and the result is this narrow column.

Jie

-----Original Message-----
From: Blackboard/Courseinfo userslist
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Curson Nigel Mr
(PRS) k332
Sent: 08 October 2004 12:46
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Mac browsers and BB

Two questions in one - first for anyone like us still using BB 5.5 (or whose
memory of it is long enough) and second for those who have 6 and/or
Enterprise (to which we aspire).

A senior academic here is accessing Blackboard off-campus using a Mac
(precise spec currently unknown but pretty recent). He is using IE5 and
Safari under OS X and is getting a poor rendering of announcements. In IE
the announcement text is bundled into a small column on the left and using
Safari it's bundled into a small column on the right of the frame.

As it happens, I use Macs at home myself, but mainly access BB on an old
iMac running OS X 10.1 (he's clearly more recent, Safari doesn't run on
10.1) with no significant problems. Haven't yet tried giving Blackboard a
thrashing on my more recent machine. I realize BB5 pre-dates widespread use
of OS X and that supported browsers are in essence IE5 and Netscape 4 under
OS 9 - therefore more recent browsers cannot be guaranteed to work. So ...

My question for the 5.5 users is do they have knowledge of different
outcomes when viewing 5.5 on a Mac running OS X and/or suggestions for
workarounds, recommended browsers (Mozilla maybe)?

My question for 6/Enterprise users is do Mac browsers work better with 6 and
which ones are formally supported? At worst then I can hold out the offer of
a better life for my colleague should we upgrade in future.

Nigel

Nigel Curson
Phone +44(0)1603 593931
Manager, Learning Technology Group,