Arthur,

I think you are entirely correct. In my recent investigations for my
smarties model I would suggest that the views of academic staff can
often be summarised by 'having little real time available for personal
elearning development'. Worryingly, I also found - even amongst staff I
perceived to be good users - that many have little motivation for
personal elearning development, or motivation to make time available for
it. With the other pressures of teaching, administration and research, a
good number of them feel that it is one more thing to do, rather than
one thing to invest in which could bring down time needed for course
administration etc. That is partly why with new staff I feel a need to
emphasise some of the time-saving features - not the way I would like to
be encouraging elearning development.

I suspect some of the problem is ignorance - how long things really
take, where to find resources, how to know whether an elearning resource
page has been updated without going to the page to check every day.
Building on experience, I'm hoping to move this coming term to a model
of more individual help/guidance, offering each member of staff a couple
of hours at elbow, where their ideas can be talked through specifically;
where relevant examples and resource locations can be shown to them and
bookmarked. I believe that this will be much more efficient in the long
run to encouraging individuals to take elearning development seriously,
and thereby also their personal elearning development.

Luckily, as we have the portal here, we can provide a tab for
instructors which highlights tips and tricks, and quick links to
resources either on the LTT webpages or elsewhere at e.g. LTSNs. This is
proving a good start point, but it is still not being used massively
yet. I should be very much more despondent if I had created the amount
of materials that I know you have.

Looking forward to hearing how to do it successfully if someone has the
magic formula... and a happy new year to you too!

Kate
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kate Boardman
Learning Technologies Team