--On 09 February 2004 14:28 +0000 CLAY Gary M <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> What are the views of members of lists about use of Blackboard with
> uPortal.  Any feedback will be useful but the moment the main
> question I need to try and answer is can you use uPortal with level 1
> (version 5) or Basic Learning System (version 6) or do you need "the
> expensive version"?

A number of sites have achieved Blackboard-uPortal integration -
search the uPortal archives for details
<http://list.unm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=jasig-portal&D=0>

To do it legally I believe you need the enterprise
version (i.e. the expensive one).

The integration is not "deep" - you get single sign-on
and perhaps a channel/portlet showing the courses on
which you are enrolled.

AFAIK no-one is yet achieving deeper integration by
cherry-picking things like Blackboard discussion boards
into uPortal channels.

I get the impression Blackboard really wants to be the
centre of the universe; it doesn't play second fiddle well.

Paul

--
 The Library, Tyndall Avenue, Univ. of Bristol, Bristol, BS8 1TJ, UK
   E-mail: [log in to unmask]  URL: http://www.bris.ac.uk/