Seeing Anglea's email about the Black History course in Coventry, reminded
me that I hadn't circulated notice of our course via BASA yet - see below.
However, it is great to see so many courses coming up and the body of
evidence about Black British History growing.

Black British History: From past to present
10 January – 9 April 2005

You are invited to join a new course at University College Northampton,
organised in partnership with Northamptonshire Black History Project.

The course is open to everyone interested in finding out more about
Britain’s hidden Black history.  Students will be able explore Black history
from the local, national and international perspective in relation to the
experiences of people living in Britain.

It aims to give you an insight into the long term and more recent
contributions of Black people to the history of Britain and Empire.  We will
also use the fantastic range of resources collected by Northamptonshire
Black History Project to bring sessions ‘alive’ eg oral history interviews,
historical documents, community archives and other media.

This course was developed in direct response to requests from local people
wanting to find out more about Britain and Northamptonshire’s Black history.

Dates and venue
Begins on 10 January 2005 and runs from 6 to 8pm (programme below) and will
be held at the Nene Centre for Research, UCN Park Campus, Boughton Green
Road, Northampton.

Certificate and credits
Everyone who completes the course successfully will be awarded a UCN
Certificate worth 10 Level One HE credits.

Fees and facilities
The course fee is £95.00, payable at the start of the course.  This fee has
been subsidised by a grant from UCN’s Widening Participation Scheme.  As an
enrolled UCN student, you will be entitled to make full use of UCN
facilities, including the Library and IT suites.

Black and Asian Studies Association (BASA) Conference 9 April
This major national event is included as part of your course, so the costs
are included in your fees.

Tutors
Julia Bush, UCN History department
Andrew Pilkington, UCN Sociology department

Visiting speakers
Several sessions will be led by visiting speakers, including Morcea Walker
and Pat Sinclair (Northants LEA), Jenny Labbon (Black Consortium), Simon
Dyson (De Montfort University). There will also be plenty of opportunity for
you to make your own contributions based upon study or experience.

Programme (Mondays 6-8pm)

10 January                      What is Black history?  What is British history?
17 January                      India and Britain: making connections
24 January                      Africa and Britain: making connections
31 January                      The Caribbean and Britain: making connections
7 February                      “Cold Arrivals”? Migration and the British State
14 February     Black experiences: housing, work and pleasure
21 February     Education:  multi-cultural, anti-racist, community-based?
28 February     Black health issues:
                (i)  the social history of sickle cell anaemia
                (ii) mental health issues in Black communities

7 March         Open tutorial session
To discuss aspects of the course so far, and other higher education
opportunities at UCN and elsewhere

Sat 9 April     Black and Asian Studies Association Conference
Putting the Black back in History: teaching Black British history in schools

Interested? Want to find out more?
Contact Julia Bush on tel. 01604 722167 or [log in to unmask]

Applications
Please return the application form below to Julia Bush at UCN Park Campus,
Boughton Green Road, Northampton.

If you are a volunteer or sessional worker with Northamptonshire Black
History Project, please return your application form to Carolyn Abel at
NBHP, Doddridge Centre, 109 St James Road, Northampton NN5 5LD.  (Tel. 01604
590967).

University College Northampton

Black British History:
From Past to Present

Application Form

Name:

Address:

Phone number:

Email address:

I confirm that I would like to study on the course – Black British History: