  From: The Black and Asian Studies Association
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Marika@oare
  Sent: 25 May 2004 18:55
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Subject: Re: heritage

  Can anyone help? We've received this request from a researcher:

  I am researching the interpretation of slavery in British heritage.  By
this, I mean what is remembered and how it is presented.  I am exploring how
different interpretations of the transatlantic slave trade have different
socio-political implications.  My premise is that control of the past is
political and that heritage interpretation is a reflection of the present.

  I am finding that in many cases there is an amnesia about it (ie: World
Heritage Nominations of Liverpool and Manchester, as well as stately homes
like Harewood, etc), and where there is acknowledgment (ie: Liverpool,
Hull), it seems to depict a victim/savior promotion of British abolition
which neglects its responsibility.  This, I believe, enables social
exclusion to the British identity.

  Any feedback, or personal experience surrounding this topic would be
greatly appreciated.  I may be reached at [log in to unmask]  Thank
you.