Mark
I can confirm Gary's comments about the Chailey device. I have seen it
demonstrated and was very impressed with its capability and flexibility. It
is designed as a small (10 x 10cms) add on unit, able to be positioned under
the foot plates of most wheelchairs. Using ultrasonics in the forward
direction, it has  a transmitter / reciever scanning at 50 cps.(approx).
Additional infra red proximity detectors are mounted, one to each side of
the chair( 2 x 5 cms). Signals are fed to  ADC / microcontroller circuitry
whose software undertakes data conversion for distance, makes programmed
decisions on the data, and communicates via the DX serial bus system whether
to slow or stop the wheelchair. The unit can be manually programmed, using
switches on a rear mounted module for various levels of system intervention,
dependent on the skills of the W/C driver.Thus stand off, slow to a soft
bump, hard bump etc. can aid in the training for users.I have also seen it
at Kings Rehab Unit at Crystal Palace where it is being trialed.
As I understand it, the unit has been under development for three years and
is undergoing extensive clinical trails. It is not on the market yet!

Richard Taylor MIEE
Rehab. Engineer
Shaftesbury Education
12 Lyndsay Rd
Branksome Park
Poole, Dorset.
BH13 6AS
email:    [log in to unmask]

Scanned for all known viruses by Bucks Net
in association with NetCleanse.
Please consult http://www.bucks.net/av/ for more information.