From: Sue Staincliffe [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 26 September 2004 07:41
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: powered wheelchair vouchers

No longer working in the NHS but I was involved in the first pilots for powered wheelchairs and consulted by the Dept of Health on the voucher scheme.  The original remit was as you know for manual chairs because at the time we felt the learning curve to progress to electric chairs was too much for therapists to take on all at the same time.  The philosophy behind the scheme was to aknowledge individual need and respect the rights of disabled people to make informed choices.

Following that philosophy through, you should be able to assess the need of the individual concerned to have a powered outdoor vehicle.  If that means that they then want to choose what type of vehicle they have, then as long as they are mentally able to make an informed choice, it must surely be their responsibility and that of the vehicle (class 3) supplier, to ensure that they can handle the equipment safely.

If you are in doubt, draw up a policy with a disclaimer for them to sign.

regards and good luck.

Sue Staincliffe  MA CHm MCSP SRP