The following advertisement appears in the latest edition of ARC. I would be grateful if you could bring it to the attention of anyone unable to access the paper copy.

Energetic and passionate about access to archives? If so, we want to hear from you.

The archive services of the Black Country (Dudley, Sandwell, Walsall and Wolverhampton) serve a population of over one million and receive over 36,000 visits a year.

During the industrial revolution the Black Country became the workshop of the world – its products were shipped to every corner of the globe. Our archive collections reflect this rich industrial heritage. To open up access to these collections we have been awarded over £400,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund to undertake cataloguing and digitisation.

As we embark on this exciting collaborative project we are seeking the following project staff:

Senior Archivist

Scale SO2 £24,000 - £25,407 (Job Ref: LBHL9000)

3 year fixed term contract based in Wolverhampton.

Leading a team of two professional archivists, an outreach officer and two archive assistants, you will take the leading role in the management of the project – deploying resources, implementing systems and monitoring progress to ensure we deliver on key outcomes You will also undertake cataloguing and digitisation work.

A recognised postgraduate qualification in archive management is essential and registered membership of the Society of Archivists desirable. You will have some experience of managing staff and project management skills.

Archivists (2 posts)

Scale 6 £19,713 - £21,033 (Job Ref: LBHL9010)

3 year fixed term contract based in Dudley, Sandwell or Walsall.

You will be responsible for cataloguing a range of archive collections using DS Calm and undertaking some digitisation work. A recognised postgraduate qualification in archive management and experience of using DS Calm would be an advantage. You will be well organised, self motivated, able to work to tight deadliness and be capable of working independently.

For further information about the above posts, please contact Peter Evans, Wolverhampton City Archivist on 01902 552485.

Application forms/further details are available from:-
Personnel Section, Lifelong Learning - Leisure Services, Civic Centre, St Peter's Square, Wolverhampton WV1 1SJ.
Phone: (01902) 555142/551333
E-mail:

Closing date: 5th November 2004

Peter Evans
City Archivist
Wolverhampton Archives & Local Studies
42-50 Snow Hill
Wolverhampton
WV2 4AG
web site: http://www.wolverhampton.gov.uk/archives

DISCLAIMER: This email and files transmitted are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you may not copy, disclose, distribute or use it in any unauthorised manner.  If you have received this email in error please notify us by telephone on 01902 552480 or by email to [log in to unmask] and then delete it and any attachments accompanying it. Please note that Wolverhampton City Council cannot guarantee that this message or any attachments are virus free or have not been intercepted and amended.

Any views or opinions expressed within this email are those of the author and may not necessarily reflect those of Wolverhampton City Council.