I am posting the following advert on behalf of the Boys and Girls Welfare Society. It will appear in ARC shortly. More details can be found on their web (http://www.bgws.org.uk/vacancies/jobs/joblist.htm).

The Boys and Girls Welfare Society is a leading North-West Children’s Voluntary Organisation providing direct care, educational and social work services to over 2000 children & young people every year.

RECORDS MANAGER/ARCHIVIST (2004/77)

Central Services, Cheadle

NJC Points 26 – 29, £19,713 - £21,867

Based on qualifications and experience

We are seeking a qualified and experienced Records Manager to provide professional advice and key information issues including Data Protection and Freedom of Information. You will need to source information from various locations within the Society and ensure that all information is catalogued with one central source available for all data.

You will be required to liase with Manchester City Archives, regarding our prestigious archive collection held there in order to answer queries from the general public on family research and also to expand the work of the present Archivist once they retire to maintain our heritage within the voluntary sector.

We are looking for an applicant with a recognised post graduate qualification (or equivalent) in archive administration and some experience of working in a record office, along with this you should possess highly effective interpersonal and communication skills both verbal and written, whilst excellent organisational skills will enable you to work calmly and methodically under pressure.

As you will be required to travel to various BGWS locations being a car driver and having access to a car would be of advantage.

This role involves working with sensitive information on children and young people and you should note that an enhanced disclosure check via the Criminal Records Bureau will be necessary.

CLOSING DATE: 12 noon, 29th September 2004

For an application pack please contact the Recruitment Hotline on 0161-283-4828 or email [log in to unmask]

stating the vacancy you are interested in, leaving your full name and address, including post code, and a contact telephone number

BGWS strives to be an Equal Opportunities employer & welcomes applications from all sections of the community.

Kevin Bolton
Principal Archivist
Manchester Archives & Local Studies
Central Library