Williamson County Review Appeal

Archives offers view into lives of WWII

vets

By KAREN EMERSON-McPEAK / Review Appeal Staff

Reporter

History won’t repeat itself, nor will it be remembered if

someone doesn’t take the time to write it down.

That’s exactly what  Louis Lynch and her small staff at the

Williamson County Archives do. Not only do they write, but

with the help of Stan Tyson, they videotape interviews

with World War II veterans.

http://reviewappeal.midsouthnews.com/news.ez?viewStory=22287

The Age

Hepburn's biographer attacks sale

May 31, 2004

Objects from tennis shorts to diaries kept by the late screen legend

are to go under the hammer, writes Charles Laurence in New York.

Katharine Hepburn's close friend and chosen biographer has attacked a

decision by Sotheby's to auction many of the most intimate objects from

the film star's estate, including clothing, address books and diaries.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/05/30/1085855434578.html

The Mercury News

Posted on Sun, May. 30, 2004

visual arts

HISTORY IN A DRAWER

By Jack Fischer

Mercury News

Sometimes -- probably more than we realize -- the telling of history is at the mercy of nothing more than bad filing.

Certainly that has been the case with the U.S. government's best-known visual archive, the Depression-era photographs of the Dust Bowl and the years that followed it.

For decades, no one knew that the vast and beloved swath of America's pictorial history included color photographs. Thanks to the decision of an unknown bureaucrat, who couldn't manage to store color transparencies with black and white negatives of a different shape, the color work was boxed with a different archive at the Library of Congress and was virtually lost. An academic rediscovered the cache in 1979, but somehow it languished largely unpublished and unseen for another 25 years.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/entertainment/8797874.htm?1c

Houston Chronicle

May 28, 2004, 12:38PM

Where the music lives on, and on

Reissuers driven by love and profit

By RANDY LEWIS

Los Angeles Times

HOLLYWOOD -- Bill Inglot has worked at Rhino

Records for more than two decades, long enough to

know that two years from now he'll probably be up to

his ears in Monkees.

"In 2006, it will be the 40th anniversary of when the

Monkees debuted and it'll be my 20th anniversary of

working on Monkees reissues," says the 47-year-old

producer, whose Burbank-based employer wrote the

rules for marketing nuggets from the pop-music gold

mines. "I joke that I'll be reissuing my reissues."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/ae/music/jump/2595996

Asia computer weekly

Insured against paper

trails and wrong calls

Jorina Choy, May 31 2004

James Kang, CIO of Singapore insurance cooperative NTUC Income,

was often caught between a rock and a hard place whenever one of his

engineers detected a problem in their company’s IT infrastructure.

Should he or should he not activate disaster-recovery (DR) operation,

but risk losing tonnes of precious data in the process?

http://www.asiacomputerweekly.com/acw_ViewArt.cfm?Magid=1&Artid=23856&Catid=2&subcat=16

Providence Journal

05.30.2004 2:39

P.M.

Official says public records law

doesn't have teeth

The Associated Press

BOSTON (AP) -

Attorney General Thomas Reilly's office has failed to enforce the

state's public records law, allowing municipalities to withhold

information from citizens, a top state administrator

claims.

http://www.projo.com/ap/ne/1085942362.htm

The Paris News

AG: E-mail must be disclosed

By Phillip Hamilton

The Paris News

Published May 30, 2004

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott ruled Thursday that Paris

Independent School District must release a one-page e-mail

Superintendent Paul Trull sent Feb. 25 to school trustees.

Trull on Friday hand delivered the e-mail to The Paris News,

which under the Texas Public Information Act had requested the

district produce “all e-mails between and among the

superintendent and board members from May 1, 2003, to May

12, 2004.”

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Richmond, Va