I am currently compiling a timeline of significant developments in
genealogical resources on the internet.

There is a preliminary (and still slightly rough version) at
http://www.spoonbill.org/timeline.php.
The final location - by the end of the month - will be on Genuki at
http://homepages.gold.ac.uk/genuki/timeline/.

There are a number of entries relating to archives & the bodies which house
them - and there undoubtedly ought to be more - and I have two questions,
one specific, one general:

1) Can anyone provide a more precise date than just 1990 for remote access
to the National Register of Archives (or indeed for any of the other
entries which just have a year)?

2) Which important developments relating to archives/repositories/libraries
are missing? (Since this is specifically for genealogists, the main focus
is on publicly available resources relating to named individuals or local
history, and finding aids for primary sources of this sort, but I'm also
including "political" things, where these presage the development of
on-line resources.)

BTW, I haven't been able to find much historical work on-line about
internet developments as they affect archives and repositories apart from
Amanda Hill's paper at http://facstaff.uww.edu/sslh/hill.pdf. I'd be
grateful if anyone can direct me to anything more detailed.

Feel free to respond off-list if you think that's more appropriate.

Thanks

peter

Peter Christian MA FSG
   Genealogical writer & lecturer