> The National Archives is pleased to announce that the PRONOM system is now
> available on the internet at http://www.records.pro.gov.uk/pronom.
>
> PRONOM is a database of information about the technical dependencies upon
> which access to electronic records may rely. It contains information about
> the file formats in which electronic records may be stored, the software
> products required to create, render and migrate these formats, and the
> vendors who develop these products. It includes product support life cycle
> information, to facilitate technology watch within digital archives. The
> PRONOM database can be searched online, and reports produced in a variety
> of formats. The system currently holds details of c. 550 file formats, 250
> software products, and 100 vendors, and records are being added on a
> regular basis. We also actively encourage the submission of new
> information for inclusion on PRONOM, and an online submission form is
> provided for this purpose. The website also includes details of our plans
> for significant future developments to both the content and the
> functionality of the system.
>
> PRONOM was developed by The National Archives' Digital Preservation
> Department, as a tool to support TNA's own digital archive. However, we
> hope and anticipate that PRONOM will also provide a valuable resource for
> the wider digital preservation community. As such, we very much welcome
> feedback on both the current version of PRONOM and our future plans. All
> feedback should be sent to: [log in to unmask]

        With apologies for cross-posting

This e-mail message (and attachments) may contain information that is confidential  to The National Archives.
If you are not the intended recipient you cannot use, distribute or copy the message or attachments.  In such a case,
please notify the sender by return e-mail immediately and erase all copies of the message and attachments.
Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message and attachments that do not relate to the official business
of The National Archives are neither given nor endorsed by it.