Dear all,

My e-mail is a follow up to Jan's suggestion
about checking 1998 IWGP meeting website for
(subfossil) grape morphology.

I found lots of well preserved grape pips, along
with numerous charred grains of cultivated barley
and wheat etc., on Ljubljansko barje (Ljubljana
Moor) in Central Slovenia. The pips varied quite
substantially in their sizes and shape, so I used
Stummer's index (although I was aware about its
unreliability) to learn more details about the
distribution of their variety. The index
suggested that the majority of pips show
characteristics of wild grapes (Vitis vinifera
ssp. sylvestris), although a few of them fall
into a category of cultivated species. The result
was expected since the radiocarbon date of the
pips is app. 4780 uncal BP (-the oldest evidence
for vine in Slovenia-) and corresponds to dates
of artefacts that place the settlement/pile
dwelling, where the pips were recovered, into
Eneolithic period.

In any case, I wonder what would be other
approaches that can be used for distinguishing
among different types of grape pips. I looked at
the suggested website, but couldn't find enough
information on some references that I would like
to read - for example papers by Ruth Pelling and
Marijke van der Veen, by Daničle Martolini and
Christiane Jacquat, and by Mordechai Kislev. Thus
I would like to ask if somebody can provide more
details about them and/or related papers, or any
other ideas concerning grape seeds/pips
identification. I would also appreciate the
advice on how to get older papers, such as
Facsar (1970; 1973) and Terpó (1976; 1977).

Thank you very much and best regards,

Marjeta

At 03:14 AM 11/4/2004, you wrote:

>Dear all,
>

>I remember that in the 1998 IWGP meeting in
>Toulouse there was plenty of discussion about
>grapes.
>See http://www.socarchsci.org/9809n.htm by
>Delwen Samuel, with a section on grapes, stating
>"The taxon of the meeting was grape."
>

>Greetings,
>

>Jan
>
>--
>Jan Bastiaens
>
>Flemish Heritage Institute
>Koning Albert II-laan 19 bus 5
>B-1210 Brussel
>Belgium
>
>tel ++ 32 2 553 18 32
>fax ++ 32 2 553 16 55

Marjeta Jeraj, PhD
Department of Botany, Center for Climatic Research
University of Wisconsin - Madison
430 Lincoln Drive
Madison, WI 53706
U.S.A.