Hi friends,

I have a question to you on a specific sample size calculation. In one of our projects in a sample (as one group) a mean value on a dependent variable is being expected of 10 with a sd of 20, where the values represent percentages. It appears a sample size calculation already has been done on those data, a minimal number of observations which is needed to show, that the 10% is significantly different from 0, is 62. So I tried to reproduce that number and have been using the One sample test on means with nonparametric correction (Wilcoxon) of the program NCSS/PASS; I yielded a size of 28. Now our sample very likely has a skewed distribution (as it concerns a percentage) and the applied method assumes a symmetrical distribution at least. So my feeling says the used method is not quite correct, but I could not find a better alternative in PASS.

How would you do such a sample size calculation and what software would you use?

Regards - Jim.

Jim Groeneveld, MSc.
Biostatistician
Science Team