Biometricians

VPS Grade 5 - Senior Biometrician, Pos No 507010
Tatura

VPS Grade 3 - Biometrician, Pos No. 4933
Rutherglen or Tatura

The  Victorian  Department  of Primary Industries (DPI) has been charged by
Government  with  enhancing  the  contribution of primary industries to the
economic  wealth and well being of the Victorian community.  Our purpose is
expressed  as  "sustainable  development  of  primary  industries  for  the
benefits of all Victoria."

In order to respond to this challenge, the Department has created Primary
Industries Research Victoria comprising 800 scientific and technical
support staff and organised through ten state-wide science platforms.

Supporting our scientific endeavours is a team of biometricians (currently
ten) who provide innovative, statistical support to research projects
requiring quantitative methods for design, data analysis, modelling, and
scientific reporting. We are looking for two experienced applied
statisticians or biometricians to join our team.

The grade 5 position is based at Tatura in Central Victoria, at one of our
major research sites. The appointee will provide direct biometrical support
to projects primarily managed by DPI staff located at Tatura and Kyabram.
It is also envisaged that this position will head up a small group of two
or three biometricians providing support to research projects in North
Central Victoria.  Accordingly, we seek an experienced biometrician who is
able to contribute to a variety of science project areas that range across
natural resource management, water use, horticulture, crop production,
dairy, and farming systems.

The grade 3 position will be based either at Tatura or Rutherglen and will
provide biometric support to projects managed by DPI staff primarily
located at Rutherglen. Accordingly we seek a biometrician who is able to
contribute to a variety of science project areas that range across animal
production, hydrology, natural resource management, crop production and
farming systems.

If you hold a degree in Statistics or Mathematical Statistics, combined
with relevant work experience, this may be your opportunity to join an
organisation that helps you realise your potential in a pleasant rural
environment. You will have access to the latest statistical software,
reference books and journals, and be part of a team of experienced
biometricians who meet regularly. We provide challenging work, support
on-going training and development, and value the contribution of our staff.

For either position, Grade 3 - Biometrician, or Grade 5 - Senior
Biometrician

You must be able to demonstrate:

·  A high level of communication skills including demonstrated ability to
communicate statistical ideas to a wide range of audiences.
·  Experience in the application of mathematical statistics to agriculture
or other biological sciences, and longitudinal studies.
·  Experience in statistical consulting and collaboration, especially in
the design of experiments, with researchers from other disciplines.
·  Experience in the use of statistical packages such as GenStat, R and
BUGS.
·  A degree or advanced diploma in Statistics/Mathematical Statistics or an
equivalent qualification

Grade 5 - Senior Biometrician

You must also be able to demonstrate:

·  Experience or ability to supervise & mentor biometric staff.
·  Possess a higher degree in statistical science and applied postgraduate
experience.

Recent graduates may apply for the grade 3 position. A  driver's licence is
required for both positions.

The salary ranges for these positions are:   Grade 5 $60,023 to $72,623

                                 Grade 3 $42,021 to $51,021

For further information contact Mr Murray Hannah, Acting Chief Biometrician
(03) 5624 2260.  To obtain a full position description please contact Ms
Ainsley Brunt on (03) 9217-4181 or via email at

Applications should demonstrate your skills and experience in relation to
the specifications and should be sent to Ms Brunt at the above email
address by Friday 20 February.

Murray Hannah,
A/Chief Biometrician,
DPI, Victoria

RMB 2460 Hazeldean Road, Ellinbank 3821
Australia

Phone:  +61 3 5624 2260
Fax:        +61 3 5624 2290
Email:   [log in to unmask]

This email and any attachments may contain information that is
confidential, legally privileged and/orcopyright.  If you are not the
intended recipient, any use, disclosure, distribution or reliance on the
information contained in this e-mail is unauthorised. You should only
re-transmit or distribute the information if you are authorised to do so.

 If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the Department of
Primary Industries (DPI) by return e-mail and destroy all copies printed or
held on any computer. DPI does not warrant that this e-mail and any
attachments are free of viruses.