Senior Statistician

Unilever R&D Colworth, Sharnbrook, North Bedfordshire, UK

£competitive + excellent benefits

You may not know the name, but you must know our products - Ben & Jerrys, Birds
Eye, PG Tips, Hellmann's, Persil, Calvin Klein perfumes, and Flora to name but
a few.  Unilever is one of the largest consumer goods companies in the world
with 265,000 employees and a turnover last year of £30bn.  This is underpinned
by a dynamic and innovative research base, both in the UK and worldwide.

Our Colworth laboratory is located within a country estate near the
stone-thatched village of Sharnbrook in rural Bedfordshire, just 60 miles north
of London.  There are extensive sport facilities including a 9-hole golf
course.  The scope of our research covers foods, biosciences, home and personal
care, safety & environment, as well as marketing, leading to a range of
challenging projects for the statisticians.

The Data Sciences group provides statistical consultancy to the R&D programme
at our Colworth site.  We tackle a wide variety of applications including
design and analysis of laboratory experiments, consumer trials, clinical
(physiological and psychological) trials, environmental and safety studies and
microarray experiments.

As a major part of the role you will be contributing to a Corporate Research
programme exploring business applications of adaptive systems. This is a broad
and exciting research programme ranging from development of novel computer
based health behaviour change systems for the developed world to networked
community support enterprises in rural India. The role will provide you with a
rich mix of data types ranging from experimental to market campaign, market
research, click stream, sales, and even text based data. The role will call on
varied analytical approaches.

The people we are looking for will be able to manage the statistical content of
a project, deciding on appropriate design and analysis approaches, performing
the analyses and presenting and reporting the results.  Methodology development
and improvement is also an important part of our role, as we believe in
expanding the statistical capabilities of our group.

Who should apply?  We are looking for enthusiastic and self-motivated people
with excellent communication skills.  You should have a post-graduate
qualification in statistics or a related discipline.  Good IT skills are
essential as is experience with a major maths or statistics package such as SAS
or S-plus.

For further information, please refer to our website www.unilever.co.uk or
email [log in to unmask] enclosing your CV and remuneration
details and quoting reference no 105067.  Closing date is 24th February.