Dear allstatters

I would appreciate your advice, as I have been unable to find a specific
answer to the following:
How does SPSS 'know' which dummy variables belong together as a group
coding for one nominal variable, and which belong to another?

I am aware there may be an obvious answer to this question, please let
me know if so. I am in the process of performing multiple regression
analysis looking at levels of a particular cell type in four different
groups of patients (early arthritis/reactive
arthritis/remission/controls). Other IVs include age, CRP, disease
duration and gender. I have created 3 dummy variables, coding 1/0
(yes/no) for the three types of arthritis patient, and it's my
understanding that the controls would then act as the reference
category. However, since gender is also coded 1/0 (male/female), how
does this affect the patient group dummy variables? How does SPSS 'know'
which patients belong to the control group (which contains those
patients not coded 'yes' by any of the three patient group dummies) when
there is another binary variable in the same data set?

Thanks for your time

Liz Hensor

Dr Elizabeth M A Hensor PhD BSc (Hons)
Data Analyst
Academic Unit of Musculoskeletal and Rehabilitation Medicine
36 Clarendon Road
Leeds
West Yorkshire
LS2 9NZ