Dear all,

I am struggling with a set of data collected from an endurance race that I wonder if a mixed model is applicable.

The response variable is the finishing time and a number of physical fitness data are collected from the participants. This event requires a team of 4 people to complete the race. Therefore, all 4 participants in the same team have the same finishing time. The question is to explore which piece of physical fitness data is associated with the finishing time.

Further complicating the situation is that for some teams we get the data only from 1 or 2 participants.

Any insights or suggestions are most welcome.

Peggo Lam.