Dear all,

This is just my timely reminder - wearing my Head of School hat - that
applications for the Chair of Applied Statistics at Reading close on Friday 20
February.  It also allows me to say, with the initiatives happening within Reading,
and the support I have been getting from the VC, that I believe that this is
a real opportunity for someone further to enhance both their career and the
School's reputation as a major world player in Applied Statistics.  What I mean
is that Statistics at Reading has three main strands:
1.  fundamental methodological development - but typically driven by
practical applications
2.  collaborative research - where these applications are put to effective
use for the advance of scientific research
3.  outreach - where Reading is aware of the need to satisfy the industrial,
commercial and governmental need both for professionally trained statisticians
and also for effectively trained non-statisticians.  We achieve this through
a wide range of postgraduate and other CPD training activities, delivered in
Reading and internationally.

I am excited by the prospect for the future, and am looking for people with
leadership skills to join my colleagues.  Is this you?

Further details are on the website - www.reading.ac.uk/statistics/  or do
contact me at Reading:

Derek Pike:     +44 (0) 118 378 6211    [log in to unmask]

Dr Derek J Pike
Head of the School of Applied Statistics
The University of Reading
PO Box 240
Whiteknights Road
Reading RG6 6FN