It would be a lot less effort to use a package.  SPSS has some complex
sample-drawing and analysis.  If you need analysis of complex samples
that is not in SPSS, in my experience it has been useful to use SPSS to
get the point estimates and then use that output to navigate through the
output from SUDAAN or WesVar.

If you really want to reinvent the wheel, many universities have IMSL
from Visual Numerics.

Hope this helps.

Art
Social Research Consultants