This Wednesday...

UNIVERSITY OF HERTFORDSHIRE STATISTICS SEMINAR SERIES
Part of the Business School Research Seminar Programme
www.herts.ac.uk/business/staff_public/nhspencer_public/seminars

Supported by Department of Statistics, Economics, Accounting and
Management Systems, Business School, University of Hertfordshire.

Wednesday 19th May 2004, 2pm, room N002, de Havilland campus
NOTE: NEW ROOM: N002
Paul Garcia (Hertfordshire County Council and recipient of Royal
Statistical Society Campion Fellowship)
Title: "From anecdote to evidence: the search for truth"
Abstract:
"In this talk, I shall explain the origin of the project I am
undertaking as RSS Campion Fellow 2003. The rules of thumb to
determine the number of pupils likely to be generated by new housing
developments had apparently never been checked. I shall describe how I
convinced the RSS Campion committee that such a check would be useful
and informative, and subsequently how I set about organising a large
scale survey to collect the necessary data. An outline of the model I
hope to construct, along with links to census data and a population
forecasting model of my own devising will be presented, to show how
the outcome of the project will enable more reliable prediction of the
effects of new housing developments on populations."

Forthcoming:
Wednesday 16th June 2004, 2pm, room N108, de Havilland campus
Speaker: tba
Title: tba

For further information regarding location, parking, etc.,
please contact Neil Spencer (details below).

Dr Neil H. Spencer
Principal Lecturer in Statistics
Director of Statistical Services and Consultancy Unit

Business School, University of Hertfordshire,
de Havilland Campus, Hatfield,
Hertfordshire, AL10 9AB, U.K.

Statistical Services and Consultancy Unit Contact Details:
Telephone: +44 (0) 1707 285574; Fax: +44 (0) 1707 285410
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
WWW: http://www.herts.ac.uk/business/centres/sscu

Personal Contact Details:
Telephone: +44 (0) 1707 285529; Fax: +44 (0) 1707 285410
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
WWW: http://www.herts.ac.uk/business/staff_public/nhspencer_public