Thanks to all who responded, apologies to any whose responses I missed;
it's been a very busy time, and I may have inadvertently deleted some
post in my urge to delete spam.

I had asked about programs to do power analysis, particularly for
repeated measures.

Jeremy Miles wrote

<<<
I wrote a paper, published in BMC Medical Research Methodology, that
describes how to use a structural equation model to estimate the power
of designs, such as repeated measures or mixed ANOVA designs. The paper
uses examples in Mx, which is freeware, although any SEM program could
be used. Mx is a bit tricky to use, to start with, but you should be
able to easily modify the examples that are given.

You can find it here.
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2288/3/27

Another approach is to use the method described by D'Amico, Neilands
and Zambarano, Power analysis for multivariate and repeated measures
designs: A flexible approach using the SPSS MANOVA procedure, Behavior
Research Methods, Instruments, & Computers, 33, 4, 479 -- 484 (although
obviously you are going to have to use SPSS for that.)

Len Thomas wrote
<<<
Several years ago a colleague and I undertook a review of power
analysis software.  The citation is Thomas, L. and CJ Krebs.  1997. A
review of statistical power analysis software.
Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America 78 (2): 126-139.

More conveniently, a copy is online at

http://www.zoology.ubc.ca/~krebs/power.html

Unfortunately for you, we concluded that PASS was at the time the
easiest to use of the software available.  We did review 28 other
programs however, so perhaps you can find something suitable there.  I
think we looked at whether the programs explicitly accommodated repeated
measures analysis.

Stephen Sen wrote
<<<

I use nQuery and find it useful and easy to use (but I am on the
advisory board for Statistical Solutions!). It covers repeated measures
ANOVA (although I have no personal experience of using this). See
http://www.statsol.ie/nquery/features.htm

I also discovered that SAS v 9, which I recently upgraded to, does some
power analysis, although not for the sort of repeated measures I needed.

In addition, I have been in contact with Jerry Hintze, who wrote PASS,
which I use now.  While I still find PASS somewhat difficult to use,
especially for repeated measures, I must say that he is extraordinarily
available, and very helpful personally.

Thanks again to all

Peter

Peter L. Flom, PhD
Assistant Director, Statistics and Data Analysis Core
Center for Drug Use and HIV Research
National Development and Research Institutes
71 W. 23rd St
www.peterflom.com
New York, NY 10010
(212) 845-4485 (voice)