This seems to be an example of terms only having meaning in the context that
they were meant.

In the original e-mail, Markus wrote about "SAD and MAD studies as they are
done in early drug development".  I interpreted this to refer to 'single
ascending dose' and 'multiple ascending dose' studies.  These are terms that
are used at AstraZeneca but whether they are standard remains to be seen.

In my opinion, these studies seldom have clear objectives and it is unclear
what criteria is used on the basis to choose doses for subsequent study.

I recommend the conduct of a SAD study to follow a decision theoretic
approach such as:

Zhou Y, Whitehead J.  Practical implementation of Bayesian dose-escalation
procedures.  DIJ 2003 37: 59

Whitehead J, Zhou Y, Stevens JW, Blakey G, Price J, Leadbetter J.  Bayesian
decision procedures for dose escalation based on evidence of undesirable
events and therapeutic benefit.  Submitted to Statistics in Medicine

Whitehead J, Zhou, Stevens JW, Blakey G.  An evaluation of a Bayesian method
of dose-escalation based on bivariate binary responses.  Submitted to
Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistics

Whitehead J, Zhou Y.  Easy to implement Bayesian methods for dose-escalation
studies in healthy volunteers.  Biostatistics 2001 2: 47-61

John
Bayesian Statistics Focus Team Leader
John W Stevens
AstraZeneca R&D Charnwood
Clinical Sciences, Bakewell Road, Loughborough, Leics LE11 5RH, England
Tel: +44 (0) 1509 645044   Fax: +44 (0) 1509 645503